RE: Patch posted to SourceForge for zsh on cygwin

I think it should be discussed here.

The patch checks for $HOME being single slash when processing startup files to
avoid creating `//.zshrc' name that is interpreted as UNC name.

I have no objection to this in principle (but see below), but Bart already
mentioned the basic problem - you cannot catch all places where string is used
as file name. Just consider possible $HOME usage in any script/startup file; I
have may lines like

if [[ -f $HOME/foo/bar ]]; then ...

all of them have the same problem. `~' expansion has the same problem as well.

Patch checks for _WIN32, so I assume it was for 3.0.x native build. For 3.1.x
we have only Cygwin version - and people on Cygwin list explicitly warn
against setting HOME to `/'. ssh e.g. has the same problem that is frequent
cause of errors.

So, I ask - should we commit this patch that does not actually solve the
problems or just warn users against setting HOME to `/'?

-andrej