Re: zsh 3.0.8 redirection bug

> This appears to be a bug according to my (and Bash's) understanding
> of redirection.  It isn't a known bug mentioned in the FAQ (2001/01/24).

I must write something about multios there.

> Here is a short session log which shows the problem.
>
> # /tmp% ./foo 2>&1 >foo.out | nl
> #      1  stderr
> #      2  stdout
> # /tmp% cat foo.out
> # stdout
> # /tmp% exec /bin/bash
> # [toby@means /tmp]$ ./foo 2>&1 >foo.out | nl
> #      1  stderr
> # [toby@means /tmp]$ exit
>
> For some reason piping the output causes the original
> standard output, which had been safely sent to a file,
> to be re-animated.

The option `multios' causes stdout to be sent both to foo.out and to the
pipe.  If you `unsetopt multios' this should go away.  It's a standard
feature, but catches everyone sooner or later.

> The Westbrook Centre, Milton Road      Fax        +44 (0)1223 715001
> Cambridge  CB4 1YG,            UK      Web     www.brightstation.com

Looks kind of familiar.

Cambridge Silicon Radio, Unit 300, Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0XL, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 392070