Automatic hash -d

In the old completion system, I can complete a path that includes a
variable prefixed with a ~ without having to first use an explicit
hash -d.  In the new completion system, this only works if I complete
just the ~VAR name first.  In other words:

  # (Assume that there are files in /var/www/html/subdir)

  zsh -f
  % export w=/var/www/html
  % ls ~w/subdir/<TAB>           # Completes as expected
  % hash -dv
  w=/var/www/html
  % exit

  zsh -f
  % export w=/var/www/html
  % autoload -U compinit
  % compinit
  % zstyle ':completion:*' completer _expand _complete
  % bindkey '\t' complete-word
  % ls ~w/subdir/<TAB>           # Beeps.  Nothing added to hash -d.
  % ls ~w<TAB>                   # Expands w.  w added to hash -d.
  % ls ~w/subdir/<TAB>           # Now this works (as expected).

I can work around this, but it would be nice to have the auto hash -d
code work the same in each completion system.

..wayne..