Re: PATCH: reduce unnecessary linking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> > -AC_CHECK_LIB(socket, socket)
> > +AC_CHECK_LIB(socket, socket, [LIBS_SOCKET="-lsocket"
> > +AC_DEFINE(HAVE_LIBSOCKET)])
> >

> No, that won't do. I (being on SVR4) need '-lsocket -lnsl' for any
> networking code (what our Solaris fellas say?) Moreover, I *do* need them
> both in *main* module and not in any DSO (else some funny effects may
> happen).

And actually on my system it is very hard (near to impossible) to link
shared module with (dynamic) library. Basically, in

cc -G -o foo.so ... -lbar

any -lbar is simply ignored. So, you cannot link zftp with -lsocket while
omitting -lsocket for main module.

> I really suggest that this patch should be hold off till 4.0.1 release. It
> is just too dangerous and can break too much.

And in any case - this optimisation should be used only for systems that
are known to support it.

-andrej