Re: PATCH: reduce unnecessary linking

> What was wrong with AC_SEARCH_LIBS?

It adds the library to LIBS, which would be counterproductive.

> No, that won't do. I (being on SVR4) need '-lsocket -lnsl' for any
> networking code (what our Solaris fellas say?) Moreover, I *do* need them
> both in *main* module and not in any DSO (else some funny effects may
> happen).

I can't compile current CVS on Solaris 8, or I'd check.  -lnsl should
already be in the main module, because that's where yp_all is called.
I'll add -lsocket to zftp.mdd.

Are you saying that all the libraries that any DSO's are linked against
need to be linked to the main binary?

configure:2623: gcc -E -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 conftest.c >/d
ev/null 2>conftest.out
In file included from /usr/include/curses.h:23,
                 from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.2/include
/curses.h:5,
                 from configure:2619:
/usr/include/widec.h:38: warning: `getwc' redefined
/usr/include/iso/wchar_iso.h:337: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
/usr/include/widec.h:39: warning: `putwc' redefined
/usr/include/iso/wchar_iso.h:340: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
/usr/include/widec.h:40: warning: `getwchar' redefined
/usr/include/iso/wchar_iso.h:338: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
/usr/include/widec.h:41: warning: `putwchar' redefined
/usr/include/iso/wchar_iso.h:341: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
configure: failed program was:
#line 2618 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <curses.h>

> I really suggest that this patch should be hold off till 4.0.1 release. It
> is just too dangerous and can break too much.

We should probably start branching in CVS.