Re: [14172] |& broken in 4.0.1-pre-3?

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 03:58:20PM -0700,
Danek Duvall <duvall@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I haven't actually looked to see what changes Bram put into 6.0ad, but he
> was talking about determining if vim was attached to a terminal by checking
> to see if stderr was attached to the terminal.

Direct hit :)

> Each case here where the output is missing you've sent stderr somewhere
> other than the terminal, and so vim figures it can't print.

Bad luck that this is the wrong way to figure that out ;)

> There really ought to be a better way to get this information -- all three
> standard fds can be redirected, but the program can still be running in a
> terminal, no?

Yes.

But another question:
How do I redirect some fds and still get them to the screen?
With the multios option, I can do things like
foo >x >y >z | grep something
But how do I do
foo >x >y >z
and still get stdout to stdout?
Of course, for stdout,
foo >x >y |tee z
works; but how do I get this to work for stderr?

> Danek

Ciao,
Thomas

--