zsh on serial line?

Hi,
I have a digital VT510 which I connected to my PC's second serial port,
/dev/ttyS1, and on the linux box, I started "mgetty -r /dev/ttyS1".
Well, works fine if login shell is bash: I issue login and password and
get a bash.
But when I try to start zsh (Version is 4.0.1-pre-3), well, it tries to
start, then it hangs forever. When I do "strace -o XXX zsh -f", I get
some output like this:
[snipped lots of syscalls]
readlink("/proc/self/fd/0", "/dev/ttyS1", 4095) = 10
open("/dev/ttyS1", O_RDWR|O_NOCTTY|0x8000

Uhm. It stops when trying to open /dev/ttyS1 - what is it waiting for?
How can I change that?

CU,
Thomas

--