Re: order of processing in brace expansion

 Bart> There's no mention of brace expansion there anywhere, and braces are
 Bart> not expanded in "a pattern" for most senses of "pattern" elsewhere in
 Bart> the doc; on the other hand, for command substitutions, it's not even
 Bart> supposed to tokenize a leading `~' or `=', which it obviously does
 Bart> anyway:

I confess that conforming to the docs is a good thing.  OTOH I don't see any
way to parameterize patterns for brace expansion if this is done.
(E.g. setting a parameter in a script to a pattern that will be used in brace
expansion in several places and which may need to be changed from time to
time.  IMO is a good thing to be able to do).  Am I overlooking something?  Is
there some other way to do this?