Re: Commited: RE: PATCH: Re: zsh and autoconf-2.50

>> > Note, that config.cache is incompatible between two
>> versions. 2.50 by > default does not cache anything; you can
>> persuade it but then better remove > old cache.
>>
>> Can we turn this on, or is there some good reason for not having
>> it?

Yes, zillions of them.  Look for `config.cache considered harmful' in
the archives.

Andrej> It depends. For initial configure run you have to manually use
Andrej> --cache-file=config.cache (or --config-cache)

Or -C.

Andrej> or set cache file in site config file
Andrej> ($prefix/{share,etc}/site.config -whatever exists or
Andrej> CONFIG_SITE=...). For Makefile dependencies we can add
Andrej> --cache-file=config.status

s/status/cache/.

I fear I understand what you mean, but I might be wrong.  The use of a
cache is a decision that belongs to the user and no one else.  You
should not try to change this.

Andrej> Why it was turned off by default - dunno, I never followed
Andrej> autoconf development too closely. I Cc it to the autoconf
Andrej> list.

We will write something about it in 2.51's docs, thanks.