RE: AIX-problem: the main module won't link statically

> The arguments to the link don't look very familiar - I don't recognise
> -bexpall and I don't like the look of the strip (-s) flag when linking a
> shared library.

  case "$host_os" in
aix*)         DLLDFLAGS="${DLLDFLAGS=-G -bexpall -lc}" ;;

-s is O.K. - we explicitly check if it is safe to strip shared libraries. Of
course, test may get it wrong anyway ...

My guess is that AIX 4.3 has dl* functions and hence AIXDYNAMIC is not used.
But something goes wrong with dlopen() & Co.

Post config.log here, generated config.h and exact configure invocation
here. Remove config.cache before running configure - else confg.log will be
pretty useless.

I vaguelly remember something about AIX and dlopen. Should be in archives.

-andrej