Re: fatal flaw zsh 4.0.1 on irix 6.3 & 6.5: suspend "ls -l|less" then resume hangs

Timothy Miller wrote:

> I continue to not be a subscriber to this list :-)
>
> If I invoke zsh as "zsh-4.0.1 -f" and then run "ls -l|less" on irix 6.3
> or 6.5, control-z to suspend, and then "fg" to resume, the shell prints out
>
> [1]  + done       ls -l |
>        continued  less
>
> and then hangs, unresponsive to all input (ctrl-c, ctrl-z, ctrl-\, other keys,
> etc). I include the results of Util/reporter at the end of this email. This
> bug does not happen on Solaris 2.7, AIX 4.3.2, or redhat 7.0 linux 2.2.16.
> The version of less I'm using is 290 on irix 6.3 and 332 on irix 6.5,
> solaris, and ix, and 358 on linux.

Hm, that's weird -- it's not even one of the complicated cases. The
reporter output isn't of much help here. Hence some questions:

- What does the output of `ps j' (or equivalent, showing pids and parent
  pids) show when the job hangs? (ps output with signal masks might
  help, too.)
- Have you tried it with earlier versions of zsh? Does it work there?
- Does it work if you replace `less' with another program that doesn't
  program the terminal (so much), e.g. `more' and `cat'?

And of course it works under Tru64 Unix, too, so I can't reproduce it...
sigh.

Bye
  Sven