RE: I hate it when you break my static link

> } I guess it should be changed to conditionally enable building only if
> } prerequisites (pcre) is found. I do not see any point in having load of
> } dummy modules all of them defining aliases for bin_notavail.
>
> The problem is that failure to (auto)load a module is an abortive error
> (i.e. kills entire scripts/functions), whereas bin_notavail is a simple
> command failure.  This makes it difficult to decide whether to omit a
> module entirely or give it a clean failure mode.

Module that can be not available should never be autoloaded. Then it is
quite easy

zmodload -e foo || zmodload -q foo || exit 1

while you cannot distinguish failed command from not-available.

> Being halfway in between is the problem.

Agreed. If module is not built all auto* in mdd should be ignored.

-andrej