Re: [4.0.2 bug] commands not written to history

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 18:32:20 +0000, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> Something that just occurred to me:  You're sure that `cmd2' has run to
> completion and the prompt has returned before the shell where you typed
> that command exited?

Yes, I'm sure that the command has exited. But is it important in my
case? Commands are written to the history before they start.

> Make a directory ~/zhist-debug (call it whatever you like).
>
> Put in your .zshrc the commands:
>
> 	date > ~/zhist-debug/startup.$$
> 	TRAPEXIT() {
> 	  # Order here is important!
> 	  fc -WI ~/zhist-debug/unsaved.$$
> 	  fc -W ~/zhist-debug/complete.$$
> 	  # This assumes you have GNU `cp'

OK, no problem as I'm under Linux.

> 	  cp -p $HISTFILE ~/zhist-debug/histfile.$$
> 	}

I've replaced cp by \cp, because I've aliased cp.

> My guess is that `startx' is being inserted into $HISTFILE by your console
> login shell at the time the `startx' command finishes, i.e., after all the
> xterm shells have shut down.

No, it isn't the case.

BTW, a problem could be (but I don't think it is this problem here),
because I ignore immediate dups:

Shell 1: true a
Shell 2: true b
Shell 1: true a
Shell 1: true c

Though after the last "true a", "true c" has been typed immediately
after it, the HISTFILE contains

true a
true b
true c

Is it possible to have immediate dups in the HISTFILE, but not in
the shell history?

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International des