Matching control problem with space as pivot

There might be a problem with trying to use space as a pivot point with
matching control.

host% bindkey -e; autoload -U compinit; compinit -D
host% zstyle ':completion:*:complete:*' matcher-list 'r:|[.,_- ]=**'
host% touch "abc.def" "abc ghi" "axx gxx" "ayy.gyy"
host% more a\ g<TAB>
<nothing.>
host% more a.<TAB>
abc.def ayy.gyy
host% more a\.<TAB>
abc.def ayy.gyy

I thought maybe the backslash was causing a problem.  I also
tried using 'r:|[.,_-\ ]=**', which didn't help.   Is this a bug?
Or user error?

Thanks.
-FR.