Re: Enable/disable (was Re: Enhanced shell)

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001, Bart Schaefer wrote about "Enable/disable (was Re: Enhanced shell)":
> } These are useful for restricted-shell mode, when you sometimes want to
> } disable builtins (e.g., the "read" builtin allows the restricted user to
> } read files that they shouldn't).
>
> As of 4.0.1, `builtin read' will run `read' even after `disable read'.
> Maybe we need to rethink that.

Even if builtin's behavior remains, it's not so terrible, because somebody
who wants to disable a builtin like read will just need to also disable
"builtin", as well as (obviously) the "enable" command (or the restricted user
will be able to reenable the command).

But now that I think of it, does zsh have restricted-shell capabilities at
all? Zsh has been my favorite shell for the last 8 years or so, but when I
needed a restricted shell, I went with pdksh or bash 2. I don't know why...
Perhaps the words "Zsh" and "restricted" just didn't sound right together :)

--
Nadav Har'El                        |          Tuesday, Jul 24 2001, 4 Av 5761