Re: fatal flaw zsh 4.0.1 on irix 6.3 & 6.5: suspend "ls -l|less" then resume hangs

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:20:57 +0200 (MET DST), Sven Wischnowsky <wischnow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > exec.c patch:
> >
> > The line number given in this patch is 9 more than the corresponding line in
> > the zsh-4.0.2 source file I have, just as a note.
> >
> > Incidentally, according to the irix man page for killpg, you're supposed to
> > #define _BSD_SIGNALS or _BSD_COMPAT before signal.h to use it; zsh appears
> > to use BSD_SIGNALS (not _BSD_SIGNALS) in configure. However, it still uses
> > BSD_SIGNALS in -pws-2. Further, if I take the cc command line for exec.c,
> > change cc to gcc, -c to -E, remove -o exec.o, and add -dD to get the macro
> > definitions in place, then it looks like none of these *BSD* symbols are
> > defined anywhere. The man page also says using BSD and SYSV facilities in
> > the same program is strongly discouraged and will result in unpredictable
> > behavior, in case you weren't aware (I don't know if zsh does that).
>
> Aha.  Hm, well, is there any Unix where killpg(p, s) does something
> different than kill(-p, s)?  If not, we could either change all places
> where we use killpg() or just add a killpg macro to zsh.h or signals.h.

I just manually changed config.h to not define HAVE_KILLPG, cleaned and
recompiled everything, and it all seems to work, except for make check C02
and Y* which were expected not to work anyway.

Oops, actually, that was only on the irix 6.3 machine...on irix 6.5 it turns
out if I compile zsh with the system cc, with or without HAVE_KILLPG, it
fails make check in a big way (segfaults at the drop of a hat on every test,
happens with 4.0.1 too) which I will report in a separate email, as it's a
separate bug. If I allow it to compile with gcc, it completes the checks
that it's supposed to complete, and if I manually turn HAVE_KILLPG off, it
even handles suspension correctly. I'm going to regard this bug as
essentially fixed (modulo incorporating something reflecting this change
into the source) as a result, but will post the other bug shortly.
   Tim