Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: XML version of completion function
- X-seq: zsh-workers 15556
- From: Sven Wischnowsky <wischnow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-workers@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: XML version of completion function
- Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:31:09 +0200 (MET DST)
- In-reply-to: <1010801073909.ZM324@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
Bart Schaefer wrote:
> Are you really, seriously suggesting that it's worthwhile to expend
> 50-70 thousand bytes defining the completion for a single command?
> In the case of zip that's 45% larger than the executable; it's even
> larger than the executable and its manual page combined.
> In find.xml there are about 5500 bytes of actual data, including the
> help text ... the other 89% is XML tags. I'm sorry, I just can't get
> excited about this.
Well, that's more or less what I expected from using xml ;-)
There is a reason behind terse syntaxes like C and _arguments-as-we-
know-it after all.
But apart from that... some comments:
- I actually like being able to add help texts. Peter and I
half-heartedly discussed that around the time _complete_help was
added. I still don't know where the help texts could be saved and how
_complete_help or a similar function could look them up, though.
Especially if there are versions in different languages.
- I don't understand why <optspec> is always nested in <argspec> -- is
the latter meant to be an _arguments-arg? If so, see next point.
- I think this should be more like describing the command than
describing arguments for _arguments. That should also make the things
shorter and more readable. But whenever I try to describe how that
would look like, I more or less describe _arguments. Hm.
- I don't think I'll ever use this format unless someone comes up with a
tool that converts a much shorter description to it or that generates
most of this automatically. How have you generated this? Typed it
in? If so, tell us about your experience with it -- would you like to
write completions this way?
Sven Wischnowsky wischnow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Messages sorted by: