Re: PATCH: printf builtin

Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> Peter Stephenson wrote:
> > It does seem to be that, since everything looks OK up to the call to
> > printf.  As a test, I got it to work with a nasty hack using a void * and
> > separate variables for different types.
>
> Could you please send me this `nasty hack'. I'd prefer to get something
> which works and has all the features required by POSIX, commit it and
> then worry about the many possible improvements as and when I have time
> and feel inclined to do them.

I've stuck the revised printf below, but I'm sure you can do a lot better
than that.  It's not a patch because I don't particularly want people to
apply it.

> Would you then suggest that in the final implementation, `%d' would
> format a zlong and that we wouldn't bother with any size modifiers (or
> just ignore them).

Yes, absolutely.  We should use integers and doubles in the internal format
only, and just ignore modifiers --- I don't see any possible effect beyond
confusion in trying to support different sizes.  We could in principle cast
to the required size, but this means that a simple %d won't work with the
internal type, which is silly.

The only possible exception is how we handle unsigned values.  printf will
normally take the same bits and print them as if they were an unsigned
value.  I'm unsure whether this is useful, but don't see another sensible
interpretation of `printf %ud -1'.

> > However, there seems to be another problem, since changing that to long or
> > int (which are supposed to be the same here but I'm paranoid --- although
> > strictly we should enforce %ld if we pass on a long) doesn't help.
>
> Sorry. Are you saying that it still doesn't work with an int? That
> wouldn't make sense.

No, this was still with the union; there's something wrong there apart from
the size of the integer variable.  It doesn't affect the version below.

/* printf */

/**/
int
bin_printf(char *name, char **args, char *ops, int func)
{
    int len, nnl, width, prec, type, ret = 0;
    char *start, *endptr, *c, *fmt = getkeystring(*args, &len, 0, &nnl);
    char **first = ++args;
    char save;

    /* instead of union */
    char *stringval;
    int intval;
    double doubleval;
    unsigned int uintval;
    void **val;

    do {

        for (c = fmt;c-fmt < len;c++) {
	    type = prec = width = -1;

	    if (*c != '%') {
        	putchar(*c);
		continue;
	    }

	    start = c++;
	    if (*c == '%') {
		putchar('%');
		continue;
	    }

	    if (strchr("+- #", *c)) c++;

	    if (*c == '*') {
		width = (*args) ? strtoul(*args++, NULL, 0) : 0;
		c++;
	    } else {
		while (idigit(*c)) c++;
	    }

	    if (*c == '.') {
		c++;
		if (*c == '*') {
		    prec = (*args) ? strtoul(*args++, NULL, 0) : 0;
		    c++;
	    	} else {
		    while (idigit(*c)) c++;

	    if (*c == 'l' || *c == 'L' || *c == 'h') c++;

	    switch (*c) {
	    case 'c':
		type = 1;
		if (*args) {
		    if (**args == Meta)
		        intval = (*args)[1] ^ 32;
		    else
		        intval = **args;
		    args++;
		} else
		    intval = 0;
		break;
	    case 's':
		if (*args)
		    stringval = unmetafy(*args++, NULL);
		else
		    continue;
		break;
	    case 'b':
		if (*args) {
		    int l;
		    char *b = getkeystring(*args++, &l, 0, &nnl);
		    fwrite(b, l, 1, stdout);
		}
		continue;
	    case 'q':
		if (*args) {
		    *c = 's';
		    stringval = bslashquote(unmetafy(*args++, NULL), NULL, 0);
		} else
		    continue;
		break;
    	    case 'd':
	    case 'i':
	    	type=1;
		break;
    	    case 'e':
	    case 'E':
	    case 'f':
	    case 'g':
	    case 'G':
	    	type=2;
		break;
	    case 'o':
	    case 'u':
	    case 'x':
	    case 'X':
		type=3;
		break;
	    default:
		if (*c) {
		    save = c[1];
		    c[1] = '\0';
		}
	    	zerrnam(name, "%s: invalid directive", start, 0);
	    	if (*c) c[1] = save;
	    	ret = 1;
		continue;
	    }

	    if (type > 0) {
		if (*args && (**args == '\'' || **args == '"' )) {
		    if (type == 2)
		    	doubleval = (*args)[1];
		    else
		    	intval = (*args)[1];
		    args++;
		} else {
	    	    switch (type) {
		    case 1:
			intval = (*args) ? strtol(*args, &endptr, 0) : 0;
			break;
    	    	    case 2:
			doubleval = (*args) ? strtod(*args, &endptr) : 0;
			break;
		    case 3:
		        uintval = (*args) ? strtoul(*args, &endptr, 0) : 0;
		    }
		    if (*args) {
			if (errno == ERANGE) {
			    zerrnam(name, "`%s' arithmetic overflow", *args, 0);
			    ret = 1;
			} else if (**args && endptr == *args) {
			    zerrnam(name, "`%s' expected numeric value", endptr, 0);
			    ret = 1;
			} else if (*endptr) {
			    zerrnam(name, "`%s' not completely converted", *args, 0);
			    ret = 1;
			}
			args++;
	    save = c[1];
	    c[1] = '\0';
	    /* yuk */
	    switch (type) {
	    case 1:
		val = (void *) &intval;
		break;
	    case 2:
		val = (void *) &doubleval;
		break;
	    case 3:
		val = (void *) &uintval;
		break;
	    default:
		val = (void *) &stringval;
		break;
	    }
	    if (width >= 0) {
		if (prec >= 0)
		    printf(start, width, prec, *val);
		else
		    printf(start, width, *val);
	    } else {
		if (prec >= 0)
		    printf(start, prec, *val);
		else
		    printf(start, *val);
	    }
	    c[1] = save;

	}

    /* if there are remaining args, reuse format string */
    } while (*args && args != first);

    return ret;

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 392070

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.