Zsh 4.0.4 and Emacs 21.1 in Windows XP

I'm trying to use Zsh 4.0.4 on Windows XP with Emacs 21.1 in shell-mode. I compiled both of them from sources.

Everything works OK except zsh thinks all my input has an extra CR (^M) at the end of each line. So in order to do a 'ls' I have to do 'ls;' and then it does the ls properly and then gives me an error 'zsh: command not found: ^M'. If I just type ls<CR> I get 'zsh: command not found: ls^M'. I've turned off all my .z* scripts and it didn't make any difference. All that's set in my .emacs is
 (setq shell-file-name "c:/bin/zsh.exe")
 (setq explicit-shell-file-name shell-file-name)

Has anyone tried this?  Is it supposed to work?

(By the way, zsh works fine in a regular command window.)

Thanks,

-- Gary Oberbrunner (garyo@xxxxxxxxxxx)