Re: Zsh 4.0.4 and Emacs 21.1 in Windows XP

Borsenkow Andrej wrote:

Probably, you are using native emacs and Cygwin zsh. In this case emacs
writes pipe to zsh in text mode (CR-LF under DOS) and zsh reads it in
binary mode (default for pipes under Cygwin). Please, look on
www.cygwin.com for description of CYGWIN variable, specifically
nobinmode. But I have no idea what effects may it have - it makes Cygwin
read/write pipes in text (in DOS sense) mode which is O.K. for pure text
but may break binary data.

In general it is bad idea to mix native and Cygwin applications.

Yes, I think you nailed it here; my Emacs is compiled natively for Win32, and I guess zsh must be compiled with cygwin (I don't remember). And what you describe above sounds like it could be the cause -- I've traced it quite thoroughly in emacs and it's definitely NOT sending a CR, only LF. So it must be zsh/cygwin that's adding the CR. Maybe I can add an option to zsh to strip off trailing CRs -- can anyone point me to where to start looking? input.c maybe?

Thanks,

-- Gary Oberbrunner (garyo@xxxxxxxxxxx)