Re: completion newbie question

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, John Beppu wrote:

> I came across an idiom in _cvs that seems unnecessary.
> Before every function definition, there is a guard [...]

The guard is theoretically there so that a user can define his own custom
overrides for each of the guarded functions and simply arrange to have his
own functions autoloaded.  Thus when _cvs is autoloaded, it won't override
the user's existing autoloads for those functions.

In practice I find that all it does is annoy me when I'm debugging, by
making `unfunction _cvs; autoload -U _cvs' insufficient to reload all the
related functions.