Two bug reports: alias/function disagreements; incorrect redirection

These appear to be long-standing problems (since v2.6 at least), and they're still around as of v4.0.4, and they're not in the known-bugs FAQ, and they seem to be platform-independent.

Bug I
=====

Bad Things happen if I assign a name to an alias and then to a function.

    $ which echo
    echo: shell built-in command
    $ alias foo='echo bar'
    $ foo () { echo baz }
    $ which echo
    echo () {
            echo baz
    }

Of course Very Bad Things now happen if I try to use `echo' or `foo'.

Bug II
======

    $ /bin/sh -c 'echo out; echo err >&2' 2>&1 >/dev/null
    err
    $ /bin/sh -c 'echo out; echo err >&2' 2>&1 >/dev/null | cat
    err
    out

I have reproduced both of these bugs on these platforms:

    RedHat 7.2 GNU/Linux (heavily CERN-customised), zsh 4.0.4
    RedHat 7.1 GNU/Linux, zsh 3.1.6-dev-22
    SunOS, zsh 2.6-beta4
    HP-UX, zsh 2.6-beta21

// David
--
David Hughes
UNIX sysadmin, Serco SA         -+-         Tel.: +41 22 767 4047

                   +++ A good bug report is an expression of love.

This message expresses my own opinions and should not be construed
as the opinions of Serco (who employ me) or of CERN (where I work).