Re: special/readonly variables in sh emulation

On Mar 26, 11:09am, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
}
} What is the second parameter to the unsetfn function? Do we need it?

It's telling the unset function whether the parameter is being unset at
the end of a local parameter scope (value 0), or either globally or by
explicit `unset' command (1).  I don't know if anything actually uses it,
and there's at least one place where it may not be getting propagated
correctly.

} Should I be looking to remove the overloading of ct in the param
} struct?

It wouldn't hurt.

} How essential was the arr cache in the value struct? I don't think
} it should be in the value struct but either a local in getarg() or
} internal to the hash variable implementation.

It's used in several places via getvaluearr(), so at this point it is
relied on by ordinary arrays as well; it's merely not as expensive to
recompute an ordinary array (unless maybe it's a special of some kind).

If your patch is going to do away with getvaluearr(), Value.arr can go
as well.

} Also, what is isarr in the value struct used for? I have a suspicion
} that it is being overloaded a lot?

At its basest level, it tells the parameter substitution code whether the
parameter whose value was fetched may be treated as an array.  It has in
fact been overloaded to pass flags to the associative array scanning code
to tell whether keys or values should be returned and whether to return
all matching items or just the first one found.

} Should we allow attributes like uppercase and integer to apply across
} an array like in ksh (this is messier for hashes as each element has
} its own param)?

I don't know what the ksh implementation of this is like -- does it apply
the conversion at fetch time, or at assign time?

Zsh has the added complication of being able to fetch the keys of an
assoc -- those attributes should not apply in that case.

} What worries me more is that it is making it messier to implement
} all the noddy specials because they then have to worry about things
} like assigning to a string subrange.
}
} We basically have two interfaces to the parameter system to worry
} about: the places where we can add hooks for specials (currently the
} gets, sets and unsetfn functions) and the interface which the rest of
} zsh can use the manipulate parameters.

Right, and I think these should remain separate.  The problem so far has
been that other code would use whichever level was the fastest or simplest,
rather than respecting what should have been API boundaries.

The way I would structure this is:

The lowest-level API provides functions to set and get scalars (strings,
ints, etc.), arrays, array elements, and associative array elements
(including getting the keys or values).

An intermediate API provides functions implemented in terms of the above
to set and get string ranges, array slices, and arrays of associative
array elements.  Special parameters have the option of implementing only
the lowest-level API and using the functions from the intermediate one,
or of providing the intermediate ones for efficiency or other effects.

The highest level API, used by the rest of zsh, provides all this and
everything else (such as mapping some attributes across array values at
fetch time, if that's appropriate), implemented by calling the two lower
level APIs.

The complication arises when we add in nested substitutions, where the
result of an inner substitution has to be treated as a parameter value
for purposes of outer substitutions.  I suggest we actually create a
dummy parameter in this case rather than trying to handle everything via
manipulation of the Value structure -- but that means some pretty heavy
rewriting of paramsubst() and getarg().

If we did create a dummy parameter, we could even give it a name and
let the surrounding substitutions refer to it explicitly, e.g.:

	... ${$(some command):+blah blah $_ blah blah} ...

could be the same as

	tmp=$(some command)
	... ${tmp:+blah blah $tmp blah blah} ...

} A comment in parameter.c says "the zsh core doesn't support creation of
} special hashes, yet". What functions would we need to provide to better
} support special hashes here?

I think we can defer this until we have the rest of the mess straightened
out.

} Do we ever want to have control over the conversion of a parameter's
} type for the purposes of a special? [...]
}
} What about other functionality in typeset_single - might that need to
} be overridden for the purposes of a special, e.g. changing the output
} format of a float?

I haven't looked at your patch in detail yet, but these seems like things
that could go in the optional intermediate-level API.