Re: UTF-8 input [was Re: PATCH: zle_params.c]

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> Is the answer "the file just gets metafied as if it were a binary stream
> and individual modules work it out later"?

Yes, that's about the only sensible way it can work, as far as I can
see.  If instead of a shell module it's an argument or output to an
external command, this is the way it needs to work.

> In other words, you assume that nobody will try to use the same .zshrc in
> two different locales, or at least not without wrapping bits of it in
> tests of the value of LC_CTYPE or the like.

Yes, someone has to test at some point.  I don't think the shell's
internals have enough information.  We *could* bind
(multibyte-?)self-insert to high-eighth-bit characters in UTF-8 locales
by default, I suppose.

> A question that comes to mind is, how will the shell deal with UTF-8
> input when ZLE is not enabled?

I think this relates to the same issue as input from .zshrc, i.e. a
binary stream which has to be dealt with by whatever receives it.
Again, to the extent that the shell doesn't need to process the string
this ought to be OK.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com