Re: iconv issues, 4.2 branch

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Oliver Kiddle wrote:

> Having been away, I've not really followed the autoconf issues with
> detecting iconv on Cygwin and Mac OS X but I thought I should mention
> that GNU gettext comes with a file normally installed as
> /usr/share/aclocal/iconv.m4. If someone wants to look at it, it might do
> a better job of handling the different situations. It also detects the
> varying prototypes which currently causes compiler warnings on some
> systems.

Thanks for the hint!  This seems like just the thing to use, instead of
the current method for finding iconv()/libiconv().

> I didn't use it at the time because it seemed overkill. It also appeared

>From the looks of it, it's along the lines of what I was originally
hacking into configure.ac, but didn't really want to spend lots of time
tweeking it to prefection.

> to assume that iconv was essential, printing messages like "consider
> installing GNU libiconv". This isn't really appropriate for zsh given
> that, in many cases, \u/\U will work without needing iconv
> (specifically  __STDC_ISO_10646__ plus wctomb and wchar_t available). So
> it may just be that some ideas can be taken from iconv.m4.

It doesn't really seem to imply that iconv is essential (the word
"consider" doesn't mean mandatory).  It also doesn't look like it would
stop configure if iconv isn't found (haven't tried it yet, so don't know
for sure, but I don't see anything obvious in the code).  It does appear
to provide a way to disable searching for iconv (via
--without-libiconv-prefix).  I'll play with this a bit and see if it
might be a more complete method of searching for iconv under Linux and
Cygwin.

Thanks again!

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@xxxxxxxxxxxx> or <Peter.Castro@xxxxxxxxxx>