Re: PATCH: character sets for internal zsh tests

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> Ooh, another idea:  make them all-caps, e.g. [:WORD:].

That would be OK.

> Given the recent austin-group discussion about how "separators" is
> misused in "IFS" (they're really "internal field terminators") it may
> in fact be better to avoid "sep".

I'm going to end up with an essay like
[:FIELDSEPARATOREXCEPTTHEYSOMETIMESGETABITPRUNED:]
if I do that.  Not just the variable name but also the documentation
consistently uses the word "separator".  Introducing "terminator" now is
going to confuse the issue.  Hasta la vista.

>  However, unless you go with all-
> caps [:IFS:] I think you should pick something that looks like a word
> (in the English dictionary sense) or an abbreviation, rather than an
> acronym.  Unfortunately I don't have any good suggestions just now.

[:FIELDSEP:] and [:WHITESEP:], perhaps?

the system manager.