Re: ZLE Unicode support status

Clint Adams wrote:
> > So... what is the status of Unicode support?
>
> It is incomplete.  I think that Peter and I keep running into brick
> walls.

Pretty much...

I would hope we could get the base Zle support sorted out sometime over
the next few months.  I remember Bart posted a list of warnings this
generated which I've never got around to looking at.  I haven't done
much work because I've had other things to do (wait for my
autobiography, although it's going to be a long wait :-))

Completion, unfortunately, is going to be horrendous and hard to do step
by step.  I think the best thing to do is to use the current
metafy/unmetafy points to turn the command line into a metafied
multibyte string and take it from there.  It's still a bit flakey with
regard to Meta characters; if the support for that were more solid we
would at least have some idea of the points where it needed to handle
multibyte characters.  So if anyone is aware of any more problems with
the existing (non-Unicode) support with 8-bit characters it would be
useful to hear.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Work: pws@xxxxxxx