Re: recent zsh-4.3.0 snapshot hangs

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 03:29:36PM +0000, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Jul 18,  2:17pm, Alexey Tourbin wrote:
> }
> } Here is strace log for HOSTNAME=`/bin/hostname`:
> }
> } pause(
>
> What platform is this?  (Linux, but can you be more specific?  Is it
> multiprocessor or otherwise using an SMP kernel?)

$ uname -rms
Linux 2.4.20-alt7-up i686
$ rpm -q glibc
glibc-2.3.3.200406160000-alt1
$

> Unless your config.h defines BROKEN_POSIX_SIGSUSPEND, there's only
> one call to pause() in the sources, in signal_suspend().

One important thing I didn't realize until now: the whole build process
was run under strace(1).  (Don't ask me why.  (In short, this was
build-time dependency analysis.))

So I tend to blame strace now, since it does some clever mangling
which affects process control behaviour, which in turn could affect
configure tests:

	If the parent process decides to wait(2) for a child
	that  is  currently  being  traced,  it is suspended
	until an appropriate child process either terminates
	or  incurs a signal that would cause it to terminate
	(as determined from the child's current signal  dis-
	position).

Now I'm trying to find out the exact reason.