getopts does not follow SUS

    Hi all :)

    SUS require that getopts is 'reset' if OPTIND is assigned the
value 1, so the following is expected:

    $ getopts "-" option --ta
    $ echo -- $option
    -
    $ OPTIND=1
    $ getopts "-" option --ta
    $ echo -- $option
    -

    But zsh doesn't do that:

    $ getopts "-" option --ta
    $ echo -- $option
    -
    $ OPTIND=1
    $ getopts "-" option --ta
    zsh: bad option -t
    $ echo -- $option
    ?

    But if we assign 0 to OPTIND under zsh:

    $ getopts "-" option --ta
    $ echo -- $option
    -
    $ OPTIND=0
    $ getopts "-" option --ta
    $ echo -- $option
    -

    The same in bash (whose getopts *does* follow SUS):

    $ getopts "-" option --ta
    $ echo -- $option
    -
    $ OPTIND=1
    $ getopts "-" option --ta
    $ echo -- $option
    -

    The relevant section in SUS is:

    SUS->Shell & Utilities->Utilities->getopts

    I don't have a copy of POSIX, so I don't know if the same applies
in POSIX :?

    Unfortunately, fixing this will probably break any script that
already uses OPTIND to 'reset' getopts and assigns a value of 0,
unless '0' is kept as a back-compatibility value (SUS says that any
value other than 1 is unspecified, so...

    I've tested under version 4.2.5, Linux, PC (i686). If any other
data is needed (or tests, or whatever) just tell.

    Thanks in advance :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

It's my PC and I'll cry if I want to...