unpatch: rationalise multibyte output

I've patched the shell supposedly to arrange for all the remaining shell
output to recognize multibyte characters.  Most non-multibyte functions are
simply replaced by the corresponding multibyte ones.  However,
nicechar() is retained in case we couldn't identify a wide character in
a multibyte string so need to deal with a byte at a time.

I was too lazy to patch this into my non-multibyte build, but when I
commit this and can get CVS to do it for me I'll do that and fix up any
fallout.

I was going to post this but I forgot to commit the MULTIBYTE_SUPPORT
fix first so I'll just commit both directly.