Weird delay on long command lines

This mostly happens when i paste gcc commands from autoconf, but it's
easy to reproduce with the alt-number keybinds. For example type
alt-1000 and press a, then press left arrow. You'll notice it takes a
second or two before anything happens. I've confirmed the same thing
happens with zsh -f. Attaching with strace shows the final argument to
poll() seems to be O(n) with the command line length but I really have
no idea why (or what the poll is for, haven't looked at the code).

--
Mikael Magnusson