Re: bug in patterns used for filename expansion (e.g. a[b/c]d)

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2007-10-09 13:59:44 +0100, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> > As I said on the Austin group list, this isn't a bug.  It's controlled
> > by the option NOMATCH; you'll find that if zsh is in compatibility mode
> > that option is unset.
>
> OK, but these compatibility modes are not really clear

Yes, I tend to agree with that, although it's partly because the targets
are moving and we haven't tried very hard to keep up.

> e.g. which sh and which ksh? And what about POSIX?

"sh" usually means POSIX with a leaning towards traditional
behaviour where that's not in conflict with the spec.  Anything in "sh"
mode that's definitely in violation of POSIX can be regarded as a bug.
(Whether it's going to get fixed is another matter, as with the long
standing word-splitting niggle that Wayne eventually fixed.)

"ksh" really means ksh88 and it probably ought to be documented as
such.  There have been vague plans to have more recent ksh features but
they need architectural changes.

pws