Re: Weird error message when using bash or ksh form of array initialization

Distinction without much of a difference. Comments in line.

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/8/25 Rocky Bernstein <rocky.bernstein@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Thanks folks for the explanation of what's happening.
>>
>> I realize that. And IMHO I think it should support it when bash or ksh
>> emulation is in force ;-). But more troublesome is the fact that it gives
>> an error message that is probably going to be a bit puzzling to most
>> people who know ksh and bash, but zsh less so.
>
> Just wanted to point out there's no such thing as "bash emulation" in zsh. :)
> (and of course, sh doesn't support arrays at all (IIRC)).

Okay - I stand corrected here. I meant it should support it in ksh
emulation. And in both *sh* and ksh emulation, it would be helpful to
ban that from use since neither support that zsh-specific function
definition form.

Supporting array initialization like ksh and bash do is incidental.
More important I think is reducing damaging behavior when making
simple (and perhaps likely) mistakes and/or giving a more likely
understandable error message.