Re: Zsh web pages (was Re: trouble downloading)

On 2008-09-01 at 16:08 +0200, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> Mirmon looks very nice but where could we host it? I think it would be
> better to use that for tracking mirrors and make zsh.org just another
> mirror of the main zsh web page content (though it might be the master).

It needs a crontab entry somewhere, to run and poll the mirror list, and
a crontab entry to update the timestamp file on the master FTP site
which the others sync from.

I suspect that if the timestamp file can get generated then the mirmon
results can be; if not, but the timestamp file can be generated, then
anyone should (AIUI) be able to run mirmon, provided they have a list of
mirrors.  I mean, I'm willing to, but I doubt it's necessary -- anyone
wanting to get a feel for the results should be able to run it
themselves.

What have you got, after all, but "update file X regularly" and "check
list of places L for timestamp of mirrored file X and generate a
report"?  Just done rather well in this case (Henk Penning also did some
rather nice web-based PGP lookup stats/interfaces).

-Phil