Re: Weird Vi-mode behavior

Matt Wozniski wrote:
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Matthieu Louvel de Monceaux wrote:
Mikael Magnusson wrote:

2008/11/3 Matthieu Louvel de Monceaux:

Anyway, I would like to know the reason of that vi-mode behavior,
different from both vi editor and bash vi-mode behaviours ... maybe
you could make me understand about that.

It is not different from the vi editor. If you have the string "Hello
there" in vi, and the cursor is on the t in there and you enter insert
mode, then you cannot backspace further left than that. Maybe you are
used to vim where the default in many distros (probably) is to allow
backspacing past this point. You can ":set compatible" to get the
original vi behaviour.
You're right.
I got confused by too-much of Vim :)
The keybindings given up there will make sense for me.
Thanks all.

FWIW, Vim behaves the same way unless you change the 'backspace'
option to a non-default value.  Your distro may change it, but Vim
ships with this option set to Vi-compatible behavior in both
compatible and non-compatible modes.

~Matt

Indeed I changed it by

set backspace=indent,eol,start

where start is actually the one needed to backspace further left
the spot where we entered the insert mode.

Cheers,

M. Louvel de Monceaux