Re: globcomplete desctroys file completion

On Feb 25,  8:48pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: globcomplete desctroys file completion
}
} Scratch that, it's simpler---we never want two -s's, we just want to
} ensure $ISUFFIX is there when needed.  This time I do have some evidence
} this is doing better things with GLOBCOMPLETE set than previously.

This is better, and in fact was something I was about to suggest, but
the cursor is still left in the wrong place when a component in the
middle of the path is ambiguous.

schaefer<505> print T/t/t<TAB>
schaefer<505> print Tmp/texlive/t

Cursor should be on the rightmost slash, because "texlive" could also
be completed to "texlive2008", but instead cursor is at the end.

Take a look at this:

schaefer<506> print T*/t*/t<TAB>
schaefer<506> print Tmp/texlive/texmf-local/
Completing default
texlive/      texlive/      texlive/      texlive2008/
texlive/      texlive/      texlive2008/  texlive2008/
texlive/      texlive/      texlive2008/  texlive2008/
texlive/      texlive/      texlive2008/  texlive2008/

(menu-select highlight is on the first "texlive/").  If I left-arrow
through the menu, I get e.g.

schaefer<506> print Tmp/texlive/texmf-config/

schaefer<506> print Tmp/texlive/texmf-var/

schaefer<506> print Tmp/texlive2008/texmf-dist/

This leads me to believe that really the second -s should have been
a -S (a suffix, not a hidden suffix) and the first -s in tmp4 was in
fact correct.   Making that change produces still better results:

schaefer<507> print T/t/t<TAB>
schaefer<507> print Tmp/texlive/t
Completing corrections
texlive/      texlive2008/
Completing original
T/t/t

However, that does not produce better cursor placement, so I remain
puzzled/unconvinced.

Also, any comment on the overlapping -W and -p values?  What exactly
does the doc mean when it says that they are used "together"?