Echoing of 8-bit-characters broken after 4.3.2?

After upgrading from 4.3.2 to 4.3.9 I've currently two zshells open of
the respective versions, each in its own xterm-window. Now, while in
4.3.2, when I type any 8-bit-character (from the latin1-set), it is nicely
echoed back. But this no longer works in 4.3.9.

E.g.:

        4.3.9> echo Le dictionnaire fran<00e7>ais-anglais
        Le dictionnaire franc,ais-anglais

where "c," is a "c" with cedilla. As can be seen it appears not to be
a problem with the xterm, since the character comes out quite well,
only the shell refuses to echo it.

All zsh-dotfiles in both sessions are identical. No LC-variables are
set (but export LC_CTYPE=ISO8859-1 does not help either). Also, I've
tried to setopt PRINT_EIGHT_BIT to no avail. This is on freebsd 6.4.
Unicode ist not used, and I currently do not intend to use it.

Is there a work-around or solution except downgrading again?

Greetings and thanks, Wolfgang