Re: Problems with non-ascii filenames

On Feb 28, 11:37am, Ismail wrote:
}
} Using latest zsh CVS on OSX 10.5.6, observe :
}
} [~]> touch xÃÃÃx
}
} [~]> echo xo<0308>o<0308>o<0308>x
} xÃÃÃx
}
} Somehow "Ã" character is replaced by <0308> while tab completing. Any
} help is appreciated.

The multibyte character handling on OSX appears to be particularly
sensitive to the LANG setting (see my previous mail to Wolfgang).
At the same time, OSX doesn't appear to export a LANG value (or at
least it doesn't on my iMac at work).

I can't precisely reproduce the above; I get things like

schaefer<263> touch x<00c3><00c3><00c3>x

or

schaefer<263> touch xinsert-composed-char:180: character not in range

before I ever get as far as creating the file.  Maybe there's some
additional character munging happening in transit of the email so
I'm not using the correct input.

However, I suggest checking your $LANG value and adjusting it if
necessary.  Tab-completion after LANG= works quite nicely.

Wolfgang, if you're reading this, something that I forgot to mention in
my reply to you is that sometime during 4.3.x zsh began to pay closer
attention to characters that are absent from the declared LANG character
set and to either refuse to process them at all, or to render them as
digits surrounded by angle brackets.  It no longer blindly passes those
characters around unprocessed, so things that "worked" before because
xterm dealt with the processing will now appear to "fail" because the
shell is trying harder to do the right thing internally.