file completion problem in 4.3.9-dev-2

I see this issue more generally with my complete init files loaded.
Under the minimal configuration below, the problem is not as
reproducible, for example substituting "ls" for "cat", or completing
"temp/tom" from the next directory level up do not reproduce it,
whereas they do with my init files.

The problem seems to have to do with the space in the directory names;
if I remove the spaces, or substitute a character that does not need
to be escaped, I cannot reproduce the problem.

| [~] greg@lwm| zsh -f
| lwm% echo $ZSH_VERSION
| 4.3.9-dev-2
| lwm% echo $ZSH_PATCHLEVEL
| 1.4656
| lwm% rm .zcompdump
| lwm% autoload -U compinit
| lwm% compinit -u
| lwm% zstyle ':completion:*' matcher-list '' 'm:{a-zA-Z}={A-Za-z}' '+ l:|=* r:|=*'
| lwm% setopt noautomenu
| lwm% cd temp
| lwm% ls -l
| total 20
| drwxr-xr-x  2 greg greg 4096 Apr 21 10:28 Buffalo Tom
| drwxr-xr-x  2 greg greg 4096 Apr 21 10:28 Flanagan, Tommy
| drwxr-xr-x  2 greg greg 4096 Apr 21 10:28 Petty, Tom
| drwxr-xr-x  2 greg greg 4096 Apr 21 10:28 Russell, Tom
| drwxr-xr-x  2 greg greg 4096 Apr 21 10:28 Waits, Tom
| lwm%

Now if I type "cat tom" and hit <Control-d> to list completions, I see:

| lwm% cat tom
| Buffalo\ Tom/      Flanagan,\ Tommy/  Petty,\ Tom/       Russell,\ Tom/     Waits,\ Tom/

OK, now hit <tab> to complete and I get:

| lwm% cat \ Tom

OK, now <Control-d> lists:

| lwm% cat \ Tom
| Buffalo\ Tom/      Flanagan,\ Tommy/  Petty,\ Tom/       Russell,\ Tom/     Waits,\ Tom/

OK, now <tab> again *incorrectly* completes to:

| lwm% cat o\ Tom

thanks,
Greg