Re: environment variables

On Aug 31,  8:18pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: environment variables
}
} On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:54:25 +0200
} Joke de Buhr <joke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
} > ## 4: HELLO not exported to shell function, different from 2 and 3
} > $ call() { env | grep '^HELLO' }
} > $ HELLO=world
} > $ HELLO=$HELLO call
} >     HELLO=      ## <-- empty
}
} That's a bug.

Have you been following the austin-group discussion about the behavior
of assignments prefixing builtin vs. external commands?

} I think we can just copy the parameter instead of removing it, so long
} as we copy it properly.

What did the name "toplevel" signify before?  Obviously it's semantically
the same as "fakecopy", but it must have meant something to someone ...