Re: Absolute pathnames similar to expand-cmd-path

Peter Stephenson wrote:
[...]
> CVS is still down.  It sounds like it's probably time to move to git
> after the next stable release, nobody's suggested replacing it with an
> even more trendy system yet...

From <http://sourceforge.net/blog/sourceforge-attack-full-report/>:

  "We are also considering the end-of-life of the CVS service [...]"

I realise, that's not set in stone yet. But we could move at a point of
our choice before we may be forced to do it some time in the future.

I believe, moving to git would make sense, since we already got a synced
mirror of the CVS repository (thanks to Wayne). Git being a distributed
VCS would obviously eliminate the single-point-of-failure weakness of
systems such as CVS or SVN. Another benefit of using git would be, that
you could verify that the history of a remote repository is exactly the
same as the one on your local machine by just comparing the hash-sum of
a commit in question.

Also, if a "central" git repository went down, we could just set up
another "central" one somewhere else from a local one, since the central
and the local one are virtually the same.

To cut a long story short: If we'd be forced to move away from CVS, I
think git makes a lot more sense than SVN (which wouldn't solve the
problem we're having right now).

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925