Re: menu-select interactive mode

On Apr 24,  7:40pm, Jun T. wrote:
}
} > .... (snip)
} >Now hit ESC-m to enter menu-selection.  I'm not even going to attempt
} >to copy-paste the result, it's a screenful of garbage memory contents.
}
} I did some analysis on this problem.
} I think I found what is causing the problem, but do not know how to fix it.
} (The zsh is the latest CVS with ./configure --enable-zsh-debug).
}
} ## domenuselect() uses origline, but it has been corrupted
} ## (it should be "ls "), and the command line will be broken soon.
}
} During "menu completion", the execution of zsh returns to
} zlecore() after each TAB, and freeheap() is called at zle_main.c:1102.

The problem seems to be that the menuselect widget bypasses docomplete()
and jumps directly into domenuselect().  This misses out on some of the
setup performed by docomplete() -- normally domenuselect() is entered
from the after_complete() hook called at zle_tricky.c:869.

There's a code fragment at the top of domenuselect() that is partly
responsible for dealing with this situation:

    /*
     * Lots of the logic here doesn't really make sense if the
     * line isn't metafied, but the evidence was that it only used
     * to be metafied locally in a couple of places.
     * It's horrifically difficult to work out where the line
     * is metafied, so I've resorted to the following.
     * Unfortunately we need to unmetatfy in zrefresh() when
     * we want to display something.  Maybe this function can
     * be done better.
     */
    if (zlemetaline != NULL)
	wasmeta = 1;
    else {
	wasmeta = 0;
	metafy_line();
    }

In that else block I added code to populate origline/origcs/origll, as
happens in docomplete() right after metafy_line(), and that resolves
the memory issues -- but I'm not sure that menuselection is entered
in the correct state.  I think what *should* happen (from the user's
point of view) is that the line is restored back to just "ls " (the
starting point of menu completion) before selection begins.  That is
stored in the global struct "minfo" but I don't know the conditions
in which it's OK to access that and whether minfo.pos points into a
metafied or unmetafied line.