Re: bash compgen -W compatibility patch

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Peter Stephenson
<Peter.Stephenson@xxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Tue, 3 May 2011 08:25:50 -0400
> Rocky Bernstein <rocky@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > For example simplicity, to match the beginning of a word, I used
> >     [[ $try =~ "^$find" ]]
> > matching using == and substrings might be faster, not that I think
> > speed is all that important here. Ditt ofo inlining a newly added
> > _compgen_opt_words function; but I think that makes things uglier and
> > harder to test.

> > +_compgen_opt_words() {
> > +    typeset -a words
> > +    eval "words=( $1 )"
> > +    local find
> > +    find=$2
> > +    local try
> > +    find=${@[-1]}
> > +    for try in ${words[@]} ; do
> > +     if [[ $try =~ "^$find" ]] ; then
> > +         results+=( $try )
> > +     fi
> > +    done
> > +    results=( "${(k)results[@]}" )
> > +}
>
> Thanks.  It's actually possible to abbreviate this quite a lot, in ways
> which are used widely in the completion code.  Also, the eval looks a
> bit hairy because $1 can contain anything, and I think it's good enough
> to ensure that $1 is split into words and any pattern characters are
> active, which can be done without an eval.
>
> _compgen_opt_words() {
>  typeset -a words
>  words=( ${~=1} )
>  local find try
>  find=${@[-1]}

Probably simpler would be to use $2, i.e find=$2 I mistakenly had set find
twice in the patch.

 results=(${(M)words[@]:#$find*})
> }
>
> seems to work, unless I'm missing some basic ingredient.  If I'm not,
> I'll commit this.

I've replaced my code in zshdb with the above and the  tests run.

No doubt if there's a problem there's a test file which can be expanded.

Thanks for looking over and fixing.