Re: When can we make a compromise in Git completion?

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On May 6,  1:07am, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> } Subject: When can we make a compromise in Git completion?
> }
> } Actually I saw that mail by looking at the archives, but I didn't
> } notice the patch. I have tried the patch, it's still *dead slow* for
> } me. Again, I don't think this can be solved without writing new git
> } plumbing. You need to avoid 'git ls-files'.
>
> With the patch, however, it's possible for you to plug in your own
> different plumbing using zstyle.
>
> zstyle ':completion::complete:git:*:files' command ...
>
> where you put your alternate plumbing in where I have "...".

I don't think it would be that easy.

> Then when you have something that works as fast/accurately as you care
> about, you can let us know.
>
> If that's not good enough you can rewrite __git_files (or any of the
> other functions in the _git file) from scratch; there's a reason that
> the source file tests (( $+functions[__git_files] )) || ... before
> each function is defined:  so that you can override them simply by
> defining your own flavor before _git is autoloaded.

I believe every __git_.*_files has to be changed. So again, not that easy.

Why would I even try if the result of this work is going to the trash?
First you tell me you would consider it for merging, then I will try
it, no point otherwise.

> } So. At which point are you going to be willing to accept the fact that
> } it's not possible to fix the performance without making a compromise?
>
> Roughly at the time you stop taking such an antagonistic stance about
> it, I suspect.  Really, you're not doing your efforts any favors by
> framing the discussion the way you do.

This has nothing to do with feelings, it's a technical issue. Either
you are willing to make a compromise or not.

You pointed to other mailing list customs earlier, well, on the linux
kernel mailing list politeness is not a requisite, code is: "talk is
cheap, show me the code". But what I hear you saying is; "we don't
want that code".

It is a simple question, why can't you give a straight answer?

--
Felipe Contreras