Re: the source of slow large for loops

On May 7,  9:21pm, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
}
} > You need to look at how much time something takes, not
} > just how often it's done.
}
} Yeah, I actually tried gprof first, but I was unable to start zsh
} then, it just exited with "profile signal" or something like that.

All I did was start up the loop and then repeatedly connect to the
program with gdb and look at the stack trace.  Five times out of
six it was in freeheap() when I attached. :-)

Unfortunately my patch doesn't help with the pathological behavior
of ary+=(elem).