Re: Test failure with negative substring offsets

On 23 May 2011 17:10, Peter Stephenson <Peter.Stephenson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is now failing:
>
> ./D04parameter.ztst: starting.
> *** /tmp/zsh.ztst.err.18663     Mon May 23 15:58:07 2011
> --- /tmp/zsh.ztst.terr.18663    Mon May 23 15:58:07 2011
> ***************
> *** 1 ****
> ! (eval):2: substring expression: 3 < 5
> --- 1 ----
> ! (eval):2: substring expression: 3 < 0
> Test ./D04parameter.ztst failed: error output differs from expected as shown above for:
>   foo="123456789"
>   print ${foo:5:-6}
> Was testing: Regression test for total length < 0 in string
> ./D04parameter.ztst: test failed.
> **************************************
> 0 successful test scripts, 1 failure, 0 skipped
> **************************************
> make: *** [check] Error 1
>
> I'll wait for it to stop failing.  I'm guessing this is to do with
> 29224.

Odd,
./D04parameter.ztst: starting.
./D04parameter.ztst: all tests successful.
**************************************
1 successful test script, 0 failures, 0 skipped

> I think possibly the error could be clearer.  It's not really clear what 3
> being less than 5 has got to do with the problem, i.e. that counting
> 6 back from the end puts you before the start offset.

bash does this,
bash: -6: substring expression < 0
I guess we could be more explicit and say something like "substring
expression error: end offset before start offset" or something?

--
Mikael Magnusson