Re: killing suspended jobs makes zsh hang after 47d1215

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:37:48 -0700
> In the 28965 case we might be able to fix it by having findproc()
> continue to scan the table for running jobs any time it encounters
> one that matches but is not running, as long as it eventually does
> return the first one it found if there are no others.

Possibly I'm being dozy but this is the first thing I've heard that
sounds like a robust fix, if it's the case that we always find an
appropriate running process in the case that was causing the original
problem.

I don't think efficiency is a problem.  zsh makes no attempt to ensure
the process you're actually looking for is found quickly in any case.
If it is a problem, surely that means the process search is
intrinsically inefficient and we need to do something more basic about
it such as putting the processes in a hash table, or whatever.  Generally,
I suspect it's rare for the shell to have enough processes to make the
time is important, and if it is important this change is a minor
effect.  Of course, if anyone wants to profile it they're welcome.