Re: PATCH: parameter substitution for exclusion by array

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 14:48:17 -0700
> On Apr 21, 10:05pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> }
> } > Index: Completion/Zsh/Command/_typeset
> } >        args=(${^fpath}/*(:t))
> }
> } I wonder if it would be OK to fix this to
> }
> }       args=(${^fpath}/*(-.:t))
> }
> } or is that going to give problems with network paths?
>
> As we're already globbing in the directory, the only difference between
> *(-.:t) and *(.:t) is for directories that contain a bunch of symlinks;
> any symlink to the directory itself must already have been followed.  So
> I don't think network paths are a huge concern.

The point is there wasn't even a "." there before, so we're going from a
pure readdir() loop (plus a bit of string handling with no implications
for system interaction) to performing a stat() on each file.  What
really triggered my noticing this was we allow completion of
subdirectories of $fpath as autoloadable functions, which is a bit
bizarre.

Hmm... we could make this more efficient with some trickery: remove
functions already marked for autoload first, then regenerate the path to
the remaining (presumably, though not necessarily much smaller) set of
matches first, then only test the types of those.  However, I'm not sure
there's an efficient way of getting from the pruned $args back to the
full paths, or equivalently an efficient way of removing full paths
where only the last component matches a function name... or whether it's
worth even attempting.