Re: On "the usual behaviour" of empty array elements

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 10:37:22 -0700
> A fairly recent addition to the doc for the (s::) parameter flag is this:
>
>      For historical reasons, the usual behaviour that empty array
>      elements are retained inside double quotes is disabled for arrays
>      generated by splitting
>
> The thing is, I can't find anywhere else that "the usual behavior" of
> empty array elements is even mentioned.
>
> Far more interesting than the retention of empty array elements in double
> quotes, I think, is that empty array elements are NOT retained when the
> array parameter reference is NOT in quotes.
>
> Is there something I just haven't spotted?  I confess
> I merely searched the doc rather than re-read it cover to cover.

I should have replied to this...

I don't think I've ever searched, so it's quite possible it's just something
"everyone knows", except when they don't.  We should put something in
the parameter expansion section in any case.