Re: Access to CVS

On 2012-12-14 at 14:29 -0500, Phil Pennock wrote:
> "git commit -a" automatically finds files which are tracked and have
> been modified, but doesn't pick up files newly tracked.  "git add"
> starts tracking a file.

*sigh* Dumbass mis-statement on my part, sorry.

"git commit -a" doesn't pick up newly created files, because they're not
tracked (except just enough to say "not tracked" and to be handled by
commands like "git stash").

> If you want to be more selective, then for each file changed, "git add"
> it to stage it in the index for the next commit, then just "git commit"
> which will only commit the manually-staged files.

To be clear: "git add" is not "add tracking this new file to the
repository", it's "add this file to the index of changes to be in the
next commit", where such a change _might_ be the creation of a new file,
or might simply be "I changed it, include it".

-Phil